Starting ssh-agent automatically

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon May 14 10:32:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:30:09AM +0300, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 5/14/12 9:00 AM, Jarno Suni wrote:
> [snip]
> > Why should Lubuntu start ssh-agent by default? I think it is better to
> > start ssh-agent only if you need it for something.
>
> Starting it by default means it is there for you when you need it.  It
> is far easier to have the environment variables set up for you
> automatically than to have to manually look them up and enter them by
> hand.
>
> Lubuntu already does this and so do the other *buntus, I just happened
> to misread it.  I'm not sure how it ties in with gnome-keyring-daemon.

If it "ties in with gnome-keyring-daemon" in the same was as in xubuntu
then it's broken and has been for years.

In theory when you log in your password login should be used to unlock
the default keyring but (in xubuntu anyway) it's broken and you get
asked for the keyring passphrase when you run an ssh login.

I have added code in my .xprofile to work around this issue and the same
code has been required since at least xubuntu 10.04.

I think very few people even notice this bug and just enter their
password when the seahorse (gnome keyring GUI) pops up and asks for it.

--
Chris Green