Follow up on copy/highlight, lightdm, and DE conversions.

Lance lbsolost at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 11:59:10 UTC 2012

Karl,

You're correct about Lubuntu not needing to worry about the PAE issue, both Xubuntu and Lubuntu ship with the non-pae kernel, but we continue to get complaints from Ubuntu users here:

Shortly before Precise final released I began this:

But I needed to follow up with how to convert either Lubuntu or Xubuntu to Ubuntu successfully and remain non-pae. I have that figured out, I now just need to put together all of the info in a new forum thread, probably in the Installation & Upgrades section.

I have a couple of post-Precise release obligations that need to be met before I can move onto anything else but I rather agree that we could have some instruction about how to convert Ubuntu or Xubuntu (not sure about Kubuntu) to Lubuntu. But I see no need for our documentation to show how to convert from our DE to another.

Aysiu did post the new Pure Lubuntu scripts:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntu

But I have not tested them and I particularly dislike the "remove Ubuntu" bit, but I'm not going to argue with Aysiu. It's her site, I've provided what little I've learned about the kernel, lighdm, and plymouth foibles and that's all I can do ;^)

Once I get that pae vs non-pae thread done, and finish my Ubuntu Precise classic (no effects) guide, I need to put a new thread up at Ubuntu +1 regarding ubiquity testing because Colin Watson has indicated a desire to restore the "use largest continuous free space" in the live installer.

Lance