Few questions

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 16:22:05 UTC 2012

Hello and Welcome to Lubuntu :)

Since you are new, I'd like to explain few important and general points
that will help you big time in the near future and the far future too :)
I will give you one link that will answer many general Qs for you. Say
Hello to LOST: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Now, to get the full advantage of this thread, please check the first post.
If you have Qs, let me know.

I know, I had some plans to change LOST to something better with more
details but for the last 3 months, Real Life gave me HARD TIME :( I was
planning to convert it to a Wiki Page too but I have no idea when shall I
start working on that?

Why I'm sending you the link of that thread? simply because it has lots of
useful links that instead of copying and pasting it here and there, I put
that all together in one thread on my favorite website ever that is Ubuntu
Forum :)

Now, that was my thread. For something MORE official:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ContactUs
This will help you to find out where to ask in case you need some help :)

Since you have chosen the Mailing List and you already sent your Qs, I'll
be glad to help as much as possible.

1- I would like to put some link folder(with icon) on desktop in order to
> have My Computer, trash, and home folder on desktop. How could I do this?

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2018

Which is already in Lubuntu One Stop Thread (LOST).

2- can you help me to restore previous click-right button-options on
> desktop. I marked some check box on property options on desktop, and now I
> have something else when I click right button on desktop - On top, there is
> Terminal, then Web browser, then Desktop, then ObConf etc.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Right-clicking_on_desktop_pulls_up_a_menu_that_is_missing_the_.22Desktop_Preferences.22_option_and_now_I_can.27t_change_my_wallpaper

It's on our Official FAQs which is also there on LOST.

3- where can I post my wishes on how would I like to lubunutu be.

The Mailing List is the a great place to do this.
I have also started a thread for Lubuntu 12.04:

If there is something like bugs, please use nothing to report that but
Launchpad.

4- I have an old hard disk. Apparently it isn't working well, because my
> lubunut isn't fast although I have 2,4 GHZ, and 1,5 gigarams. I tested disk
> through disk utility but don't know how to interpret the graph. Disk has 22
> bad sectors, and a lot of N/A value. I don't know what that means.

I had 20GB Samsung IDE HDD. It was making noise and wasn't working. I took
it to someone to check it and he asked me to through it away because it's
hopeless. That story was in 2004 and that HDD is working until now. I just
formatted it and it is working since then :)

I have the easy way and the hard way so let's start with the easy way.

1- Have a LiveCD - say Lubuntu 11.10 LiveCD - Don't forget to check MD5SUM
before creating new LiveCDs - You will find all that on LOST (Lubuntu One
Stop Thread).

2- Make sure your machine boots from your LiveCD (or LiveUSB if you desire).

3- When you login to the Live Session (Desktop), please run GParted from:
Menu > System Tools > GParted - http://i39.tinypic.com/2uxv85k.jpg

4- After you run GParted, go to Device > Create Partition Table -
http://i44.tinypic.com/2whfaxw.jpg

5- Just hit Apply without changing anything -
http://i40.tinypic.com/11qsumc.jpg

6- Your HDD will look like this now: http://i43.tinypic.com/s4behe.jpg

7- After that, create the needed partitions:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2irm4hk.jpg

Do NOT forget to backup your important files if you have any before trying
the above.
There is a more destructive approach but I will wait for your feedback
regarding the above approach.

As for Taking Screenshots, I think you got that answer already :)

There are some programs/applications to do that like LXScreenshot or
gnome-screenshot

As for cropping the image, I suggest shotwell. You are free to choose
whatever software you like :)

If you have further Qs or if something from the above is not clear, please
ask.

Thanks!

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Nikola <rukeuvis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi! I am new to linux/lubuntu. As you can probably guess, I don't know
> much about lubunut. Anyway - I would like some help. I don't know how to
> use lxshortcut; I would like to put some link folder(with icon) on
> desktop in order to have My Computer, trash, and home folder on desktop.
> How could I do this? Furthermore, can you help me
> to restore previous click-right button-options on desktop. I marked
> some check box on property options on desktop, and now I have something
> else when I click right button on desktop - On top, there is Terminal, then
> Web browser, then Desktop, then ObConf etc. And one more thing - where
> can I post my wishes on how would I like to lubunutu be. I don't understand
> why is still a bit heavy to let say customize your desktop, menu etc. I
> don't mind that lubunut still has terminal, but for us user, we don't need
> that - we need just great software.
>

> And one more thing - I have an old hard disk. Apparently it isn't working
> well, because my lubunut isn't fast although I have 2,4 GHZ, and 1,5
> gigarams. I tested disk through disk utility but don't know how to
> interpret the graph. Disk has 22 bad sectors, and a lot of N/A value. I
> don't know what that means. I would like to post a picture, but don't know
> who printscreen works on lubunut.

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>