downlaod page

Sun Jun 24 17:32:19 UTC 2012

All:

I have successfully installed Lubuntu 12.04 on a 384-megabyte RAM
machine using the alternate install.  Lubuntu 11.10 installed (using the
alternate install) on a 256 megabyte RAM machine, and performed fine in
use.  I suspect the 12.04 level won't run on 256 megabytes of RAM.

>From the standpoint of a person doing MIDI music/audio work on Linux,
ever since the 3.0.x kernel, things have changed for the worse in very
noticeable ways, to where it is now absolutely essential to configure
real-time priority level, and memory locking for software synthesizers
to work acceptably.

In fact, the poor performance of the main Ubuntu variant (since 11.10)
is the reason I am primarily using Lubuntu today.  But even on Lubuntu,
I have to put a configuration file for my user-ID in the
"/etc/security/limits.d" directory.

With that change, I can still run qsynth successfully, even on a 450
megahertz (384 meg. RAM) machine.

- Aere