can't connect to .local hostnames (avahi-daemon by default?)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 23 18:25:30 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 10:46 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> On 06/23/2012 05:39 AM, ∅ wrote:

>> I didn't install avahi-anything on any machine (though maybe it
>> installed with some other package) nor did I intend to rely on mDNS.
>> If it was not installed intentionally or unintentionally by me, it
>> came with 11.10.

> Please retest -- do a fresh 11.10 installation and check whether
> avahi-daemon is installed by default.  I'll do the same test here
> later today if I have the time.

Confirmed, somewhat surprisingly, Lubuntu 11.10 (desktop i386) *does*
seem to install avahi-daemon by default.  No other release of Lubuntu
tested so far does that, only 11.10.

I'm guessing 11.10 installs following Recommends, and the others do not.

Now, we need to determine whether the change from 11.10 to 12.04 that
dropped installation of avahi-daemon by default was fixing a bug, or was
a regression.

Jonathan