can't connect to .local hostnames (avahi-daemon by default?)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 23 06:19:05 UTC 2012

On 06/22/2012 11:01 PM, ∅ wrote:

> Note I said avahi-daemon. Not avahi-server. Is it there on your vm?

There is no avahi-server package, my typo/thinko.  The package is named
avahi-daemon.  Apologies for that.

Neither avahi-daemon nor avahi-server are present in Lubuntu 11.04 or
12.04 by default as far as I know, and as far as my testing here shows.

It might be useful if you answered my questions, rather than only posing
new ones :)

> On Jun 22, 2012 10:53 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>
> wrote:

>> Why exactly is avahi-daemon affecting basic name resolution within
>> your network? Is that how you intended and designed your local
>> network to operate? Do you *want* your network to rely on mDNS,
>> not just on DNS, for name resolution? ...

>> Did earlier versions of Lubuntu install and run avahi-server by
>> default? ...

>> Which Lubuntu version or versions do you think installed
>> avahi-server by default?

We can now correct the last two into:

Did earlier versions of Lubuntu install and run avahi-daemon by default?

Which Lubuntu version or versions do you think installed avahi-daemon by
default?

Jonathan