can't connect to .local hostnames

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 23 05:53:38 UTC 2012

On 06/22/2012 07:59 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012, Maps Backward <maps.backward at gmail.com> wrote:

>> so i think i figured out my own problem. zeroconf issue. i was
>> lacking avahi-daemon. i thought we had a dpkg -l somewhere but
>> can't find it on the wiki. in any case my old box that i upgraded
>> from 11.10 → 12.04 had it. so i installed it on the new box (XP →
>> 12.04) and problem solved. is this supposed to be installed??

Why exactly is avahi-daemon affecting basic name resolution within your
network?  Is that how you intended and designed your local network to
operate?  Do you *want* your network to rely on mDNS, not just on DNS,
for name resolution?

If you want to use mDNS via Bonjour or Avahi, then that is your choice
-- install the avahi-server package and run avahi-daemon or its
equivalent.  If you want to use normal conventional DNS (which would be
my recommendation!), then you don't need it.  In my opinion avahi-server
is not installed by default because it is not needed by default.

> Could you raise this as a bug?
>
> it seams like a regession, you know where to raise it :)

Really?  Did earlier versions of Lubuntu install and run avahi-server by
default?  I don't remember that.  Let's test and verify, not rush to
invalid conclusions and potentially unwarranted bug reports.

I just tested (fresh Lubuntu 11.04 i386 install in a VM, and looked at
an existing Lubuntu 12.04 amd64 VM install) and avahi-server is not
installed by default for me in Lubuntu 11.04 or 12.04.  Which Lubuntu
version or versions do you think installed avahi-server by default?

Jonathan