can't connect to .local hostnames

Maps Backward maps.backward at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 02:29:15 UTC 2012

so i think i figured out my own problem. zeroconf issue. i was lacking
avahi-daemon. i thought we had a dpkg -l somewhere but can't find it on the
wiki. in any case my old box that i upgraded from 11.10 → 12.04 had it. so
i installed it on the new box (XP → 12.04) and problem solved. is this
supposed to be installed??

wxl