Lubuntu control center, some ideas

Stephen Smally eco.stefi at fastwebnet.it
Fri Jun 22 10:03:25 UTC 2012

Hi guys, since i can't stand still, here are some ideas for the lubuntu
control center:
1) Rename it Lxde Control Center and ship it with Lxde as optional
package (included in lxde but not in lxde-core)
2) Include it by default in Lubuntu 12.10
3) Use a "dynamic implementation" [Dynamic Implementation]
4) Give it a standard look (no "Lubuntu" banner, just like
gnome-control-center)

Dynamic Implementation: The list is loaded dynamically, we put a key in
the .desktop file of the lxde preferences apps:
(example of lxappearance.desktop)
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Customize Look and Feel
GenericName=Customize Look and Feel
Comment=Customizes look and feel of your desktop and applications
Icon=preferences-desktop-theme
Exec=lxappearance
NotShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;GTK;X-LXDE-Settings;

(sees? X-LXDE-Settings in "Categories")
The control center show only the .desktop files in
/usr/share/applications which have X-LXDE-Settings in "Categories"

So we need to update the .desktop files of every settings app in lxde
(plus we need a separate .desktop for the pcmanfm preferences) with
X-LXDE-Settings, i don't know how many of these apps already have it.

Cheers

Stephen Smally