"Report a bug", a simple way to report bug

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 22 04:33:00 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 12:16 PM, Stephen Smally wrote:

> Il 21/06/2012 19:59, Cyber Penguin ha scritto:

>> I assume it only lists the applications which are installed on the
>> system...?

> Of course, it looks in /usr/share/applications, where the .desktop files
> (used by the lxpanel - and the other xdg-compliant - menu) are stored.

But that means the tool is unaware of, and so unable to report bugs
about, all command line apps (which do not come with .desktop files).
This seems to me to be a strangely restricted definition of what
packages are installed :)  This tool is (I think) only listing the
subset of (GUI) application packages that are installed *and* include a
.desktop file installed into /usr/share/applications.  If you only use
the .desktop files as a definition of what is installed, you'll be
unable to file bugs about cups, or X, or the kernel, or bash... just to
name a few examples.

I'd consider that limitation to be a bug in the bug reporting tool.
So... can it be used to report bugs about itself? :)

I recommend using the package database to determine the list of
installed packages, instead.  It is far more likely to be accurate.

Jonathan