Leadership

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:07:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM, PCMan <pcman.tw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not exactly sure, but I think the leader everyone is talking about is a type of a moderator for the list. Not exactly sure, but I think this is what they mean.
>>
>> On Jun 20, 2012, at 9:57 PM, ∅ <maps.backward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> the impetus for this from what i can tell is a general unhappiness with
>>> the embarassing content of the website: bickering about pointless topics
>>> like top posting (yes, i have an opinion but i DO NOT care *THAT* much),
>>> people dramatically departing due to their unhappiness, etc. etc. etc.
>>>
>>> how is a leader going to fix that? i know part of those uncomfortable
>>> topics have been people trying to refocus back on the important things.
>>> how is a leader going to be any different in that regard? are they
>>> suddenly going to command more respect?
>>>
>>> perhaps if they rule with an iron fist, that will work.
>>>
>>> but then we won't have freedom. is that really keeping in the spirit of
>>> open source?
>>>
>>> i think truly WE need to organize together. we all care about this
>>> project. let's pool our resources together and come up with a plan. we
>>> don't have to have 100% consensus, but as long as the majority feel like
>>> we're heading in the right path and the minority feel like their
>>> opinions were respectfully heard and responded to, that's good enough.
>>>
>>> can we do this ourselves? are we truly a bunch of lemmings that can't
>>> figure out how to self-organize?
>>>
>>> i'm not vehemently against the idea of a leader, but i struggle to see
>>> how it's going to provide any practical benefit. no harm in trying, i guess.
>>>
>>> i'll leave it up to you to interpret whether or not that's a vote in
>>> favor or not.
>>>
>>> wxl
>>>
>>> --
>
> We need a moderator rather than a leader.
> IMHO, there are no big problems in the Lubuntu community.
> The only problems is, people spent too much time discussing things not
> related to development at all.
> Don't waste your time on political issues and fight with each other
> because of small issues.
> Focus and do real development, please.
> I seldom read Lubuntu mailing list these days because it contains too
> much talks totally unrelated to our mission, building a great distro.
> Write some source code, fix some bugs, do some tests, write some docs,
> and file some bug reports.
> That's how a project can really improve.
> Otherwise, a new leader won't help at all.
> We have a good chance now to build a great distro.
> Don't give up, please. Let's do it as usual.
>
> Best regards to all LXDE users

In addition, the strategy, IMO, to solve an issue like this is simple.
People who love the project, please think about this.
When you find someone posting something hurting the community and the
things he or she posted are not related to develope, just IGNORE it
and DON'T reply him/her at all.
Then people won't waste there time discussing unrelated things.
When the author of these posts get no replies, they will get angry and
then leave the ML.
Not really the best solution, but at least it let us focus on really
important things.