Problem with upgrade of Lubuntu 11.10 to 12.04

Mon Jun 18 17:43:09 UTC 2012

All:

In testing the upgrade of one of my MIDI-Music systems from Lubuntu
11.10 to Lubuntu 12.04, I encountered a serious problem, and in spite of
hours of trying, I have been unable to find any way to report the
problem (where it does not actually cause a crash).

The problem is that the upgrade process for Lubuntu (this problem does
not occur in the Ubuntu upgrade), the package "qjackctl" is marked
obsolete, and in doing so, after the upgrade, there is no way (that I
know of) to re-install it (get it back).

The "qjackctl" package is an essential component for people using MIDI
music software.  Its absence renders the system useless (or much
degraded) for doing MIDI music.  For example, if you use the Rosegarden
sequence-editor, you can no longer use audio files in your projects.

I have been using qjackctl successfully since I started using Lubuntu,
and continue to use it without problems on 12.04 (from a fresh-install).
Given this experience, I find it hard to believe that its presence & use
causes problems in Lubuntu.

This applies to slower, lower-memory machines (which I always test with
on every new level).  I have not had problems with qjackctl, even on a
450 megahertz, 384 megabytes ram machine.

If qjackctl is no longer allowed on Lubuntu, I will be compelled to
abandon the Lubuntu distribution, since MIDI music is most of what I
do.

Can someone please give me more information on this?  Is there any way
to get back qjackctl after it has been marked obsolete?  Why does the
upgrade need to declare qjackctl to be obsolete?

Thanks in advance for your response.