Who is in charge? and Non PAE CPU

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 15 00:19:15 UTC 2012

hi,

things have a been busy, but I thought that linux team would keep the
version 12.04 non-PAE alive? I'll go find out what the deal was. If they
have kept a non-PAE for 12.04, we're okay, other wise; us and xubuntu need
to sort out a route to keep the non-pae updated. As of 12.10, there will
not be a non-pae, just as i586 was dropped after 10.04 [1]

regards,

Phill.
1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/PreviousReleases

P.S. I'm going to put a contents section on there.... Growls at who did it
without one.

On 14 June 2012 23:18, Cyber Penguin <cyberpenguin1979 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 June 2012 21:48, Sarbojit Ganguly <unixman.linuxboy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Gentlemen,
>> >
>> > I have an opinion here. Since Lubuntu is designed to run on _old_
>> > machines (NON-PAE) and if Ubuntu kernel team _decides_ to ship PAE
>> > only, wouldn't it be going against our philosophy?
>> >
>> > In this case can Lubuntu maintain a "legacy" kernel tree of its own to
>> > support NON-PAE cpus ?  It will be then easier to deduce number of
>> > users affected due to the shift.
>> >

> Though we would like to support old computers we have to set the bar
> somewhere.
>
> For now I think we should advice the non-PAE users to stay with 12.04.
> After support is running out in October 2013 a good solution is to point
> the last remaining ones to Puppy or another suitable distro.
>
> This is more or less how we manage the i586 CPU's today.
>
> Regards
> CP

Abusive E-mail? Please notify the Terms of Service monitor.
Legal  |  Terms of Service  |  Charter of Rights  |  Contact Us