Who is in charge? and Non PAE CPU

Cyber Penguin cyberpenguin1979 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:18:46 UTC 2012

> On 14 June 2012 21:48, Sarbojit Ganguly <unixman.linuxboy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> > I have an opinion here. Since Lubuntu is designed to run on _old_
> > machines (NON-PAE) and if Ubuntu kernel team _decides_ to ship PAE
> > only, wouldn't it be going against our philosophy?
> >
> > In this case can Lubuntu maintain a "legacy" kernel tree of its own to
> > support NON-PAE cpus ?  It will be then easier to deduce number of
> > users affected due to the shift.

Though we would like to support old computers we have to set the bar
somewhere.

For now I think we should advice the non-PAE users to stay with 12.04.
After support is running out in October 2013 a good solution is to point
the last remaining ones to Puppy or another suitable distro.

This is more or less how we manage the i586 CPU's today.

Regards
CP