3 little issues

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:06:51 UTC 2012

> EDIT: Actually, I'm not 100% sure anymore the issue was solved by running
> lubuntu_menu by hand.
> The Lubuntu FAQ entry about this issue [1] is actually wrong. In a
> .desktop file for an app, the field 'Categories' is a list, and according
> to the specification by freedesktop.org [2] should end with a ';', which
> is missing from the FAQ example.
> I have corrected this without paying attention during my trials and thus
> don't know when it happened; this could thus be the *actual* reason why
> things now work by me.
> @amjjiwad: You may correct the FAQ (i wanted to do it, but won't [3])
> Denis

Hi Denis,

Thanks for bring that to my attention but that wasn't 'wrong' but an extra
step or category was unnecessary. "DesktopSettings" was unnecessary so I
removed it :)
As long as there is ";" after "Settings" then it should work. I always do
that after any fresh Lubuntu Installation but yet again, thanks to bring
this to my attention.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Shutdown_Button_is_missing_from_LXPanel.2C_how_can_I_add_it.3F

I didn't understand why you were unable to edit it?

Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/06/2012 14:13, spir wrote:
>
>> On 10/06/2012 13:17, spir wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Here are a few little issues I presently have with lubuntu. (I have
>>> investigated
>>> the web for each one of them.)
>>>
>>> 1. shutdown button disappeared from lxpanel
>>>
>> [...]
>

>  Ok, found how to do it. After following the process described in the FAQ
>> (see
>> link above) to edit the .desktop file, I finally noted this little config
>> file
>> gives the program name: ubuntu-logout. Just to check, I ran it from a
>> terminal... and the menu entry appreared (in the System sub-menu which I
>> added
>> to the Category field in the config file).
>> Note that I had restarted my computer several times since when I first
>> edited
>> the file yesterday, but the new config still was not taken into account.
>> Running
>> the prog itself seems to have done it.
>>
>> About editing the menus, I found lxmenu; install works fine (the
>> install.sh
>> script provides feedback) but the app itself just silently crashes by me
>> (well,
>> it's a Java prog... ;-).
>>

> EDIT: Actually, I'm not 100% sure anymore the issue was solved by running
> lubuntu_menu by hand.
> The Lubuntu FAQ entry about this issue [1] is actually wrong. In a
> .desktop file for an app, the field 'Categories' is a list, and according
> to the specification by freedesktop.org [2] should end with a ';', which
> is missing from the FAQ example.
> I have corrected this without paying attention during my trials and thus
> don't know when it happened; this could thus be the *actual* reason why
> things now work by me.
>
> @amjjiwad: You may correct the FAQ (i wanted to do it, but won't [3])
>
> Denis
>

> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/**community/Lubuntu/**
> Documentation/FAQ/Guides#**Shutdown_Button_is_missing_**
> from_LXPanel.2C_how_can_I_add_**it.3F<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Shutdown_Button_is_missing_from_LXPanel.2C_how_can_I_add_it.3F>
>
> [2] http://standards.freedesktop.**org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.**html<http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html>,
> section "Extensions to the desktop entry format", sub-section "Examples of
> using Categories and OnlyShowIn".
>
> [3] 2 usability issues of the wiki subscription formular:
> 1. The software pretends to tell (me) what a good password should be.
> 2. The captchas are unreadable (for me).

*Best Regards,
amjjawad*
Lubuntu Support Team Co-ordinator
Lubuntu Communication Team Administrator
Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad>| My
Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>