Who is in charge? and Non PAE CPU

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:33:58 UTC 2012

> For the ones like me who are not cryptologists, PAE : Physical Address
> Extension.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Physical_Address_Extension<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension> a
> good definition.
> But* I'd like to know why it's important (if at all) and how it relates
> to Lubuntu.*

We had that discussion before but I can tell you are new to our mailing
list so allow me to explain briefly about that :)

Some old machines has *NON-PAE CPU*. If you have a Linux Distribution with
a *PAE Kernel*, then that system will not be bootable on a machine with
NON-PAE CPU.

During the development of 12.04, both Xubuntu and Lubuntu teams decided to
go for a NON-PAE Kernel (Generic Kernel - run "uname -r" in the terminal)
so those users with NON-PAE CPU will not have any problem and they still
can use Lubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04.

Ubuntu Kernel Team has decided to drop the NON-PAE Kernel and go for PAE
Kernel.
As per Julien, we can't go against that unless we hire a developer who can
make it possible.
We don't have any database/numbers of how many users over there with a
NON-PAE CPU, that is why I asked :)

Hope it helps :)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/06/2012 18:36, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> *This email is **probably **addressed to Lubuntu Developers:*
>>

>> I'm not sure who is in charge of the development of Lubuntu? I've been
>> around in the first two weeks of May and witnessed the change but have no
>> idea what happened after that?
>>
>> I'd also like to know what is the best and the easiest way to find out
>> whether the CPU is a PAE or Non PAE?
>>

> For the ones like me who are not cryptologists, PAE : Physical Address
> Extension.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Physical_Address_Extension<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension>a good definition.
> But I'd like to know why it's important (if at all) and how it relates to
> Lubuntu.
>
> denis

*Best Regards,
amjjawad*
Lubuntu Support Team Co-ordinator
Lubuntu Communication Team Administrator
Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad>| My
Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>