Introduction - Daniel McGuire -- sparing resources

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:24:52 UTC 2012

On 10/06/2012 15:14, Daniel McGuire wrote:
> "WOW Lubuntuis a project created to enlighten the whole world with the power of
> Linux generally and Lubuntu specifically and tell the untold story about a
> unique system that could breath a new life into an ancient machine instead of
> breathing the dust somewhere in the dark"

I think everyone should stop insisting on the fact Lubuntu is for old rusty
hardware. It's true, but it's only part of the story (I guess). Here are my
views on the topic:

* Hardware only a few years old, but low-level (the kind poor people buy) also
suffer from the constant bloat in requirements imposed by pachyderms like compiz.
* Even owners of brand new and decently powerful hardware will beneficiate of
light, reactive, well-designed systems.
* In any case, spoiling resources for about no gain is *bad*: morally,
ecologically, etc...

As an amateur programmer, I am far to be obsessed with efficiency, but each time
I can spare resources without sacrificing too much important aspects of
development (code clarity, programmer time, maintenance...), I am pleased to do it.

Denis