Website & download

Geoffrey computergeoffrey at zoho.com
Fri Jun 8 18:06:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

rafaellaguna at gmail.com wrote: "By alussions. "Less is more" is a great phrase used by Mies van der Rohe, but used out of context, by non-designers, means nothing. Sorry for being so radical in these terms, but in the real world doing the design practice, LESS IS LESS, just it. I have no time or desire to explain this (it's a really extended worldwide topic used by art & design prophans)."

Reply: The disc pictograms are not functional and making the page more top - bottom will read easier for beginners I think.

paul sutton wrote: "I agree plus can you add some instructions as to how to use the md5sums
to check the cd, if all the info is in one place then that is a good
thing, even if you also provide links to more detailed explanations as
to what the md5sums are for etc "

Reply: If the checksums get added on my proposition page, are you allright with that?

rafaellaguna at gmail.com wrote: "The reason to keep the page simple (not minimal, we're not doing a BlackBox fiesta or a CrunchBang Linux page) with the pictograms is because we're a flavour of Ubuntu, and it's better to keep the same artwork guidelines. I'm really unsatisfied with the result of the page (I'm sorry for being so honest). I know the people who uploaded it made their best, but
such product like a webpage, a very delicate marketing element, need a designer for being created."

Reply: Why you don't like the page I suggested?

And the complete mail from Karl:

Hello Smile4ever. I'm the official Lubuntu wiki editor.

Your page shows that you have talent, and I appreciate your effort.
But, I'm going to use the page I linked earlier.

There's only one major problem with your page. That is, important
things need to be at the top. For example, the installer locks up on
low RAM pc's. Also when users don't check their CD, they get "error
5" like this guy did yesterday:

One difference between your page and mine, is that your page has good
descriptions of each item of interest. For example, my page doesn't
describe "LiveCDs"
I'm interested in why you think we need good descriptions. Isn't it
easier to get someone to start using twitter, than to explain to
her/him what it does exactly?

Thanks,
kanliot

Reply: Hi! Thanks for saying that. Well we should integrate both pages. What do you suggest for making everyone (or most people) happy? I don't like the download options like you've implemented them.

I find it important to inform people about Linux and especially Lubuntu, because no easy information is easily found by newbies. You could also let them do, but they will have a need to proper information. So I strongly suggest merging your and my pages, because we have both important info & design concepts.

Kind regards to all people,

Smile4ever

---- Aan Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:14:07 +0200 紳癒礁湖 <rafaellaguna at gmail.com> schreef ----

  By alussions. "Less is more" is a great phrase used by Mies van der Rohe, but used out of context, by non-designers, means nothing. Sorry for being so radical in these terms, but in the real world doing the design practice, LESS IS LESS, just it. I have no time or desire to explain this (it's a really extended worldwide topic used by art & design prophans).

 The reason to keep the page simple (not minimal, we're not doing a BlackBox fiesta or a CrunchBang Linux page) with the pictograms is because we're a flavour of Ubuntu, and it's better to keep the same artwork guidelines. I'm really unsatisfied with the result of the page (I'm sorry for being so honest). I know the people who uploaded it made their best, but
 such product like a webpage, a very delicate marketing element, need a designer for being created.

 So I think it's time to talk about it within the members room. It's nice to have users opinions, but some things can't be left to everybody's intervention, it will become a chaos. Sure you understand it. We have a phrase in Spain, "zapatero a tus zapatos" (shoemaker do your shoes). Is that the reason for doing Launchpad teams?

 El dj 07 de 06 de 2012 a les 20:34 -0600, en/na kelly va escriure:   On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 08:01:29 +0200 Geoffrey <computergeoffrey at zoho.com> wrote: > Please keep the icons. I would like to see something between your > proposition and the current page. Make the explanation of the items > shorter &amp; remove the disc icon. The intro text should also be a > lot better. If you have small explanation at the iso's, you don't > need additional info for the low memory systems. > > Version remove is good. Show only current &amp; link to LTS version > (if the current(12.04) becomes LTS &amp; 12.10 comes out) > > Smile4ever > > ---- Aan Thu, 07 Jun 2012 07:44:41 +0200 Karl > Anliot&lt;kanliot at gmail.com&gt; schreef ---- > > > I really don't like the length of the current download page. So I > made it much shorter. I think it's just as usable as the current > page. > Any objections before I replace the current GetLubuntu page? > > here's what I'm planning: > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu_testkarl > Hiya, I completely disagree about the blasted graphics. Dump the damn things and good riddance says I. Less is more. Cya. -- krp 0x8BCBFAB0