Website & download

kelly kelly at chiefsez.com
Thu Jun 7 03:22:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 03:43:48 +0100
Phill Whiteside <PhillW at Ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hiyas,
>
> I have, once again, asked the docs team the "correct" way of archiving
> older sections of pages on the wiki. The discussion has been going on
> for quite some time (read as 12.04).... If, in the next 48 hours I do
> not have an answer off them (the wiki areas are due a major overhaul,
> but life does go on). I have proposed to them that we split
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
> into
>
> GetLubuntu
> GetLubuntu_11.10
> GetLubuntu_11.04
>
> etc.
>
> It may require GetLubuntu/11.10. GetLubuntu/11.04 I've not really
> tried the variants out.
>
> That way, GetLubuntu holds just the current version and the others
> trip into archive areas. The only exception for current release would
> continue to be a mention of 10.10 which holds the iso for the really
> old processors, but that would just be a mention.
>
> Do let me know your thoughts. A mock up will be made before such a
> large change to the wiki area.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
> On 6 June 2012 04:01, kelly <kelly at chiefsez.com> wrote:

<huge snip>

</huge snip>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > May I suggest on the Lubuntu/GetLubuntu page:
> >
> > 1.  It be titled "Get Lubuntu" only.
> > 2.  All download buttons be in a single vertical column on the left
> > side (the western world reads (a) top to bottom, (b) left to right).
> > 3.  Under the "Tips for Lubuntu," "Error Check" when you click on
> > the link you are taken to "Check the ISO and CD" page.  However, if
> > you then click on the "MD5 sum" link you are taken to Ubuntu
> > "HowToMD5SUM."  And this is what you get:
> > "This page does not exist yet. You can create a new empty page, or
> > use one of the page templates."  Not very helpful.
> > 4.  Further, under "Back up," (capitalize the 'u' for consistency),
> > you could also state that not letting the installer *format*
> > the /home directory, all the data will be safe.
> > 5.  "Main," "Lubuntu Home" link does not go to Lubuntu.net.
> > Instead, the link takes you to
> > "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu." That is confusing.
> > 6.  All images should be listed in a single column, not just the
> > most commonly used images.  Kinda like one stop shopping.
> > 7.  The MD5SUMS link should be listed before the image link.  Or,
> > the individual MD5sum should be listed directly after (below) each
> > image. I think that maybe the better way to go.
> >
> > --
> > krp
> > 0x8BCBFAB0
> >
> > --

Hiya Phil,

The issue here is one of usability.  Hence, on the download page the
only files (images/torrents) which should be listed is the current
version -- in all of its various flavors.  Additionally, the proper
checksum should be listed directly below the individual file/image to
be downloaded.

Possibly something like this:

Current release 12.04

-- Standard PC --

64 bit GUI installer
MD5 checksum

64 bit alternate installer (no GUI)
MD5 checksum

32 bit GUI installer
MD5 checksum

32 bit alternate installer (no GUI)
MD5 checksum

-- Macintosh --

64 bit GUI installer
MD5 checksum

And on and so forth.

I have no clue if other archs have both GUI and non-GUI installers.
However, as you can see this is a simple method.  Easily understood by,
I would suspect, most people.

Another thing is by making the list either an ordered or unordered list
you have just eliminated the graphics.  This is a good thing because
all the graphics do is get in the way (take up space, bandwidth and are
distracting).

At the end of the parade you could add 'older versions are available
here' (with the word 'here' being a link to the correct page).

Bye.
--
krp
0x8BCBFAB0