Lubuntu install

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:04:56 UTC 2012

Doing an alternate i386 install. Wanted to run it as a live CD initially. I
was probably missing something but couldn't see the option. Went right into
install instead. It bombed out.

"The failing step is: select and install software".

I presume it needs a network connection. This computer doesn't have a
network connection. I can get it one. But its an old machine. I need to
take it somewhere else and plug it in.

The install let me skip that step. It said on the install software step
fail screen that I can "skip it and choose something else". I went onto the
next step: "Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk". But this failed
too.

It said: "The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/. Without
the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot". Then it gave a
"installation step failed" message for GRUB.

It does seem all this is because there is no network connection. If I had
known it needed a network connection I would have made sure I had one
before I started.

It was otherwise a very nice install routine for an intermediate user.