Website & download

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:07:34 UTC 2012

Not bad. I think it could be simplified by using less stuffing and more
bullets. You can get rid of language like "choose this to take full
advantage of...". It gives the impression that someone is trying to make an
effort to couch this technospeak in terms that are easy to understand. But
it doesn't actually add anything. It seems like redundant language. It is
therefore clutter and hinders comprehension. But I can see what you are
trying to say.

So e.g. from:

Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T
architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If you have a
non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit
code, use the Intel x86 images instead.

Download version _y1_
For 64-bit computers
Includes guided install routine

For computers with:         Intel processors -> Pentium 4, Xeon, Core 2,
(...)
                                     AMD processors -> Athlon64, Opteron
(...)

Additional information:    This is the 64bit version of Lubuntu. It is
designed
                                     to run on computers built using AMD64
or Intel EMT
                                     technology.

                                     64-bit computers will also run the
regular, 32-bit
                                     version of Lubuntu. But they will run
more efficiently
                                     with this, 64-bit version.

                                     Do not install this version if you
have a 32-bit
                                     computer: see <Download version _x1_>
instead.

                                     Read more about deciding between
                                     the 64-bit and 32-bit version: <_>

Support:                         This is the long-term support version of
Lubuntu
                                      It will be supported until _.
                                      It is advised after that time that
you upgrade Lubuntu.

Requirements:                RAM -> _Mb
                                     Hard disk ->

Additional requirements
to run guided install:        RAM -> _Mb

                                     If your computer does not meet the
requirements
                                     of the guided install, see <Alternate
Install>

.. and so on. (...) Specify every processor family on which this version
will run. "Such as" must be forbidden: it ostracises all those not in the
'such as' category. Be encyclopaedic. Provide whatever other information
may be necessary. Provide all the crucial details without grammatical
clutter.

The stuff about all the different versions can be rewritten into a
functional style and put on another page. E.g. "Install an older version of
Lubuntu <_>."

--
Mark Ballard
Freelance journalist
markjballard at googlemail.com
Winner: 2011 BT Cyber Crime Feature of the
Year<http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/06/14/241578/McKinnon-charges-exaggerated-by-government.htm>
Public Sector IT Projects Blog: Read
it<http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/public-sector/>
Public Sector IT Projects Blog: Get RSS