Website & download

Ryan Gauger rtgkid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:35:28 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 07:24 AM, Mark Ballard wrote:
> I would like to give some feedback on a user's experience trying to
> download and install Lubuntu, if I may.
>
> It's hard to find the download page. Clicking on "Get Ubuntu" takes
>  you to the help page. Then you have to rummage around on the site to
> find somewhere to actually download the version you need.
>
> When you do select to download, it gives you v12.04. Even after
> rummaging around not possible to see any other versions to download.
>
> The help page talks about other versions. It's information implies
> that 11.10 is the long-term release. But there appears to be nowhere
> to download the long-term release. The importance of short-term
> releases became apparent to users recently when, for example, they got
> shipwrecked with the short term release of Ubuntu before the Unity
> overhaul. Had they stuck with the long term release prior to that,
> they would not now be shipwrecked. Yes I am speaking from experience.
> But what's the point of having a long-term release if you don't make
> it clear to users that this is the most advisable version to download
> and then point them to it?
>
> The checksum info page contains info only about 11.10 checksums. But
> the site downloads 12.04.
>
> The checksum and torrent additions to the download process have really
> snarled things up for idiot users - sorry, you can't say that, can
> you? It's snarled things up for 'dummies'. No, you can't say that
> either, can you? Just because you are not an experienced command-line
> user, administrator or nerd hobbyist, that doesn't make you a dummy.
> But you are likely to have plenty else to do: looking after kids,
> working over-time, fixing the car, fending off zombies. So the install
> process requires that you learn about torrent clients and command
> lines and checksums. That's the last thing I need to do. That's
> eliminated most of the population of the planet as potential users
> straight off. Point and click, man. What's with all these complications?
>
> So anyway. What I needed: a guarantee that I've got a version that
> will work with the target machine: PIII, 256Mb; a long term release
> version; and on the advice of this website, a checksummed version.
> What I got: likelihood the version I've got doesn't work with my
> machine, a short term release version, and no checksum validation.
>
> On top of all that, I'm dizzy from going back and forth and round the
> website for the information I need to perform this simplest of
> operations: downloading a version to install.

Hello Mark,

I'm sorry your experience with downloading Lubuntu has not been
pleasant. You can't download other versions of Ubuntu or Kubuntu off of
their websites, unless Googleing "ubuntu 11.10", "ubuntu 11.04", etc.
The latest long-term support release is Persistant (12.04 LTS, the LTS
stands for Long-Term Support). Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan