update-management

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 2 20:49:08 UTC 2012

Knud,

On 06/02/2012 12:50 PM, Knud Nolting wrote:

> APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages  "1";
>
> Further I have chosen to check once a day.
> But it does not work automatically....

That does not turn on unattended upgrades.

Instead, I suggest that you:

 * Check that the package unattended-upgrades is installed
   (and if not, install it!)

 * Edit the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
   to do what you want it to do, including who to email when it
   does upgrades, which repositories to upgrade from, etc.

 * Enable unattended upgrades by adding a line like

APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

to the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic

You can then check in the log directory /var/log/unattended-upgrades/ to
look for logs of what it does each night.

There might be "GUI" ways of doing this also, but editing the files is
what I do, on both servers and workstations, when I want unattended
upgrades.

Hoping this helps,

Jonathan