Dropping osmo from the default installation ?

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 22 22:39:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

Currently, osmo is installed by default to provide more advanced
features for calendar and contacts. However, there is several problems
with it :
- It takes a huge space on the CD, because it's use the GTK2 version of
webkit (and it's the only one on Lubuntu ISO to use it). I tried to
migrate it to GTK3 to get rid of this depend, but it's not as trivial as
I imagined.
- There is 0 integration with other applications (like sylpheed for
contacts)

Also, currently, most of the features are covered by xpad for notes,
sylpheed for the contacts, and the lxpanel applet for calendar (without
the notes by date). So, I wondered if it's enough to keep an additional
program, for a few uses cases, when we can add more languages support by
default instead.

I'm interested to know if people actually use osmo, and how they use it.
If no important use cases are discovered, I propose to just remove it by
default (it will be always available on the repositories).

Regards,
Julien Lavergne