Terminal emulators and UTF-8

Tran Duy Hung nguyentieuhau at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 06:06:14 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have a problem with the text in terminal emulators. Please see the
screenshot:
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b446/nguyentieuhau/2012-07-03-094419_1366x768_scrot.png

You can see there are some weird spaces between some characters or some
of them overlap together. The emulators in the screenshot are
Lxterminal, gnome-terminal and termit. Guake terminal has this problem
too. The only emulator I don't see this problem is xterm.

I am using Lubuntu 12.04 64bit in Vietnamese interface

$ locale
LANG=vi_VN.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=vi_VN:vi:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="vi_VN.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="vi_VN.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="vi_VN.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Of cousre the default English locale is fine.

I have seen this problem for a long time in Lubuntu but still couldn't
find a solution, I haven't try other *buntu distros yet to see if this
problem exists in them too.

Do you know why this happens and how to fix it? It's really hard to read
the text in terminal.

Thank you and regards,
Hung