[Lubuntu-desktop] LSC and Dependencies Talk

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 16 23:05:50 UTC 2012

Le 01/16/2012 01:43 PM, Chris a écrit :

> Firstly the discussion at hand: the MAIN reason why LSC was created is
> because USC is VERY heavyweight. While still having a similar
> simplified interface for installing software, it boots a lot faster.
> Secondly is Synaptic not the most intuitive way to install software.
> Showing a lot of technical (libs etc) between some of the packages you
> might want to install, LSC solves this by only showing the packages
> one would want to install and with a preview readily available. So
> it's not a means to only show packages "designed" for Lubuntu afaik.
This is the main reason to create LSC : create a simple and lightweight
interface to show applications available on the system, or for
installation (something more user friendly than synaptic for beginners).

It's quite difficult to define clearly what is a heavyweight depends. We
could talk during hours about this, and each application is a special
case, probably need to be tested individually. We can provide some
"warnings" on some applications we know are heavy,  or some depends
which are not recommended (compiz, pulseaudio, zeitgeist ...), but it's
quite limited. Also, heavy for someone, doesn't mean is heavy for
someone else computer :)

To finish, our main criteria for a "lightweight" application are the CPU
usage, the RAM usage, and eventually the disk usage (I/O, and after,
space). Space on the disk is mostly important for the ISO size.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne