Fwd: Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] LSC and Dependencies Talk

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 16 21:23:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Phill Whiteside <PhillW at Ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> that sounds an excellent idea.

I'm less convinced.  Is it worth the work?

We're going to come up with a way to analyze 30,000 packages and decide
which ones are light enough for some (as yet unspecified) size and age
of machine to run under Lubuntu?  (For example, is rst2pdf going to be
"Lubuntu-approved"?  Who gets to decide?  Now repeat 30000 times!).

Then we face questions like: "You approved Firefox and Thunderbird, so
why aren't they included in Lubuntu by default?" or "You didn't approve
Firefox and Thunderbird, but they run fine for me on my 512MB P4, what
is wrong with them?  Will they break my machine?".

If we manage that, we then start getting support requests, because "it
crashes on Lubuntu when I do XYZ, but LSC said it was Lubuntu
approved"... which we can't really handle effectively.

We can simplify this: I think that what comes on the Lubuntu CD and gets
installed by default is in effect "Lubuntu approved".  Nothing else is.

I think any other approach to "approval" is opening a very large can of
worms.  The Lubuntu community is not "Consumer Reports" or "Good
Housekeeping", and does not have the resources to do "Consumer
Reports"-style approval ratings on all the software in the Ubuntu
repositories.  Does it?

SUMMARY: Do the benefits of starting an "approval rating" scheme really
justify the amount of work such a scheme will require?

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>