how to get nm-applet back in task-bar / bottom panel - Lubuntu 11.10

Icarus Alive icarus.alive at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:08:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM, kelly <kelly at chiefsez.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:44:42 +0530
> Icarus Alive <icarus.alive at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is my first mail to the list. I've been using Lubuntu 11.10 for a
> > while now, and have been quite happy with it.
> >
> > Recently however, while trying to figure out why the NetworkManager
> > applet icon never shows (or shows only intermittently, in some
> > cases), by mistake I removed the applet. However, now I can't figure
> > out, how to add it back. Without it, I am unable to use WAN
> > connection using my wireless data-card.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Icarus
>
> Hi y'all,
>
> This is my mail to the list.
>
> Here is a fix for the missing (since at least 2010) nm-applet icon:
>
> "[. . .]In the file /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf change
> 'managed=false' to 'managed=true,' then type in the terminal 'killall
> nm-system-settings' and reboot [. . .]."
>
> The link to this bug is:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/553115

Thanks  Kelly.

That definitely helped, although on my setup the config file is:
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

However, while the icon is now present before any of the on-demand
connections are connected, on connecting to such a connection, the icon
dissapears, and comes back only if I disconnect.