Clipboard Manager - Time to report it :)

Geoffrey computergeoffrey at zoho.com
Sun Feb 5 18:25:08 UTC 2012

You could also let the paste function write to a text file on the disk. Then, no additional RAM memory is used.

---- Aan Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:11:45 +0100 David Reimer <djreimer at gmail.com> schreef ----

On 5 February 2012 15:03, Alexander Andjelkovic <andjelkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, what exactly is the desired function? Parcellite does a lot of things.

True. Desired function: provide system-wide clipboard, not dependent
on apps running.

> 2.7 Mb of memory sounds a bit too much if it's only purpose is to
> guard your clipboard contents when you close applications.

Alternative is to keep apps open, which is bound to take even more
memory. What if I have "Big-App" running, and I want to copy from it
to "Bigger-App"? I have to keep both open at the moment. On limited
memory, that's far worse. (I speak from experience!)

> Can it be solved in a better, even lighter way? Even if it would mean
> we'd have to program it ourselves?

I put this reference into the "bug report" (a.k.a. "opinion alert"):

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ClipboardManager

Might also be worth comparing what our XFCE friends have done:

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-clipman-plugin

[aside]
This has been a surprisingly energetic conversation! Everyone staying warm? ;)
[/aside]

David [djreimer | dajare]
--
David Reimer | Edinburgh, UK