[Lubuntu] Recommended online backup services (or those to avoid)?

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 03:07:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Aere Greenway
<Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com> wrote:
> Phil:
>
> Yes, we do tend to have very different hardware setups among ourselves.  I
> am particularly notorious for that sort of thing.
>
> Your comment about having a separate partition for "/home" brings to mind a
> question whose answer I have long pondered, and could possibly allow me to
> try that again (it's been years).
>
> Say, you have a machine with a Lubuntu (LXDE), Ubuntu (GDE/Unity),
> Ubuntu-Studio (XFCE), and Kubuntu (KDE) system on it (in separate
> partitions).  And say, on that machine, you have a single, separate
> partition whose mount-point is "/home" in each of the system partitions.
>
> Are the (hidden) configuration files used by the differing system components
> in the various desktop environments, separate enough, that you could
> actually run the various 'flavors' of Ubuntu using the same "/home"
> partition?

I have not tested it myself, but if you have the same settings on
common components, they will work OK in theory.

Also you can install the various graphical desktops in the same
installation of buntu, by installing the corresponding "desktop"
packages (ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop,
kubuntu-desktop).

> That could be very useful for me, if it could work.

If you want to test the various Linux distributions, VirtualBox is
better. "Distributions" include all buntu flavours. This is the best
option.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com