No sound on 12.10 installation on Acer Revo - how to get some?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Dec 29 17:28:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 07:23:11PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I am having trouble getting any sound output on an Acer Revo R3600.
> >
> > I first tried after upgrading an Ubuntu Server installation to 12.10,
> > that produced nothing.
> >
> > I have now done a completely fresh install of Lubuntu core and that is
> > just as silent.
> >
> > Everything *appears* to work, e.g. if I run alsamixer on the command
> > line I get all the expected bits and can turn the gain up on 'master',
> > 'phones' and 'speaker' but still I get nothing out.
> >
> > If I run the default rhythmbox it thinks everything is OK and 'plays'
> > but no sound comes from the speakers (I'm using the headphone output
> > driving an amplifier).  Jiggling the connections produces a crackle from
> > the speakers so they are connected and live.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
>
> Why are you using Ubuntu Server and Lubuntu core, and not the normal
> Lubuntu Desktop installation?

Because this is to be a server system running headless, among other
things I'm aiming to run mpd on it.

I only tried Lubuntu Core because I wondered if my problem was some GUI
component that was necessary to make sound work (it shouldn't be so but
you never know).  If/when I get it working I will probably remove the
GUI or least stop it running.

--
Chris Green