[Lubuntu] Sed substitution with partially duplicate results

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Dec 21 02:16:07 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 8:13 PM, John Hupp wrote:

> On 12/20/2012 4:56 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> On 12/20/2012 07:23 AM, John Hupp wrote:
>>
>>> I also tried
>>>
>>>      sed -e 's/DEVICE$/DEVICE Lubuntu1:3551/'
>>>
>>> And that had no effect whatsoever.  The result was still "DEVICE
>>> Lubuntu1:3551 Lubuntu1:3551".
>> That makes no sense to me at all, if the file originally had a line
>> containing only DEVICE (you did check that, right?).  But

>> might still be worth a shot.  Also, can you re-verify exactly what the
>> file has in it *before* you do all this sed editing on it?  Is there a
>> line containing only the word "DEVICE" ?
>>
>> Is there any chance something else is editing the DEVICE line, so you do
>> not need to do so?  If you omit this edit (for DEVICE) but leave all the
>> others in place, what does the final file look like?
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> Thanks for giving this a good look.  I can verify now that the script
> is doing its job.  Something else is overwriting the file again after
> that.
>
> Given the nature of the overwrite, I have to think that I must have
> set in place whatever is doing the damage.  Probably some earlier
> troubleshooting attempt which I did not record and have now
> forgotten.  If I can't remember then I suppose I'll have to look
> through every location where something can start from in an LTSP
> client bootup.

OK, got it!

In some bleary-eyed moment two weeks ago I inserted the script in
/usr/share/ltsp/ltsp_config.d as well as in
/usr/share/ltsp/init-ltsp.d.  Apparently both locations launch startup
scripts in the LTSP client environment only.  Undoubtedly they are
designed for different functional groupings or for intentional
sequencing of certain kinds of configurations.  But both launch
locations serve effectively for modifying this particular configuration
file (twice).

A big thank-you to everyone who responded and prodded my mental processes.