[Lubuntu] Some PC's or LTSP clients stall during boot at a blank, black screen

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sat Dec 8 21:17:28 UTC 2012

It was a slow-dawning realization for me as I continued to research
this, but I too was concluding that I needed various
xserver-xorg-video-* packages.  However, checking just now, I find that
I already have the meta-package installed (xserver-xorg-video-all) that
installs their whole suite.

I see that the binary drivers fglrx and fglrx-updates are available but
not installed.  So perhaps those are an option here, though I may have
read somewhere that there may be some complications uninstalling those
if they don't provide a solution.

I'm now wondering how I can troubleshoot what xorg is doing.  On the
server, I have /var/log/Xorg.0.log to look at, for instance, and though
I don't know how to read that very well, I can tell that it selects a
certain set of drivers to try to load, and provides various kinds of
information about how they loaded (or didn't) and with what settings.
But in this case with LTSP clients, though I have syslog messages being
forwarded from the clients to the server, that does not include the xorg
log messages, right?  If that's so, then perhaps I would want to ssh in
to /var/log/Xorg.0.log on the client, but my current recollection is
that ssh to the client fails when I get these stalled startups.  I think
I need to double-check that.

Can I force usage of a certain driver?  I read that this was supported
with xorg.conf, but that does not exist by default now, and I think Xorg
uses an automated configuration system called KMS, about which I know
next to nothing.  But perhaps a configuration via xorg.conf is still
respected/supported?

-----------------

In any case, as a result of running the lspci and lshw commands with
several setups, I now have a better identification of a few of the
hardware items:

Worked:
- PCI Matrox Millennium II MGA 2164W (PCI card)
- Intel 82810E (integrated)
- ATI RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]
- ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP
- ATI Rage 128 RF/SG AGP
- HP VectaVL PC w/ integrated video, probably either:
         Matrox G250 2X AGP
         Matrox Millennium G400 4X AGP

Partially Worked (got past the blank, black screen but then failed somehow):
- Diamond STL III S540 XTRM32M 82 (AGP card)
- Diamond Speedstar A50 with SiS 6326AGP chip (AGP card)

Failed:
- Trident 3DImage 9850 (AGP card)
- S3 Trio64V+ (PCI card)
- Diamond Viper with Power Weitek 9000/9001 and Oak Technology T9351
chips (PCI card)
- ATI 210888GX [Mach64 GX] (PCI card)
- ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 1x/2x