Thunderbird missing top menus

Thu Dec 6 01:24:56 UTC 2012

All:

I think this problem may be more widespread than just in Thunderbird
mail.

Yesterday, in using the "Audicity"  application (an audio
recorder/editor), I specified a change in "edit...preferences", and on
hitting the "OK" button to make the change, almost all of the menu bar
disappeared (only the first few letters of the "File" menu remained).

I did notice it responded to Alt-F (to get the "File" menu), so it
appears to respond to keyboard access, but Audacity has a number of
unusual menu names (which are essential, yet I couldn't guess what keys
might be used to access them).

So I terminated it, and on bringing it back up, the menu bar re-appeared
(whew!).

I am thinking this problem might be something a lot of applications are
being 'gifted' with from GTK3.

One of the main reasons I now use Lubuntu is because of the
"disappearing menus" feature of the Unity desktop.  But now,
unfortunately, like a bad dream that you can't escape, it appears to be
coming to get me, even while using Lubuntu!

I am seriously thinking of re-installing Lubuntu 12.04, and switching
back to that, in hopes that the problems with 12.10 eventually get
sorted out.  I already installed Lubuntu 12.04 on my daughters' machines
(rather than 12.10) for similar reasons (specifically, the loss-of-focus
problems with Java applications).

My worst-case fall-back would be to switch to Ubuntu Studio 12.04 for
everything (not just audio-production).  That is a long-term-support
release, so it will last a long time.

--

Sincerely,
Aere