Power Button not working - Lubuntu

hiro case hirocase at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:34:50 UTC 2012

Hello I am running Lubuntu 12.04 and on two seperate machines the
power button does not work after a clean install.

I have made sure that /.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml contains the
correct keybinding:

    <keybind key="XF86PowerOff">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>lubuntu-logout</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

I have also tried installing acpid.

the output of the command xev is:

hiro at hiro-laptop:~$ xev | grep "keycode"
   request MappingKeyboard, first_keycode 8, count 248

there's no mention of XF86poweroff. All other special keys give their
keycode output! for example my volume up button:

hiro at hiro-laptop:~$ xev | grep "keycode"
   state 0x0, keycode 123 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume),
   same_screen YES,

So it's not bound to xf86poweroff somehow? In fact the whole format
looks wrong. My power button works in gnome 3 though.

How do I get my power button(s) working under lubuntu again?