Anyone here qualified to install Lubuntu?

Unleash PC contact at unleashpc.com
Thu Aug 23 05:14:41 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I am in prelaunch of a simple yet new approach to an old idea which may help bring Linux to the desktop (sigh right), or at least it may be a clever way to introduce Linux to many who would not have ever tried it.

I've always felt that in some regards, using only a traditional path to Linux desktop adoption has actually been our mistake all along. Since Linux isn't really a traditional OS in its development then it would make sense that only pursuing a traditional approach to adoption/sales wouldn't completely work.

For quite a while I've thought there should be a method or approach to push the desktop further through the use of aging computers. Something that wouldn't & couldn't be a traditional route that Microsoft or Apple would be willing to take or invest in.

Many of use really truly enjoy using our preferred lightweight linux OS on aging PC's for ourselves, friends and family or anyone that thinks its cool and wants it done. Too many I have found its like a magic trick.

So I began to develop this idea. Going through many different setups, and systems etc etc. Most were good ideas but not quite completely functional considering all the variables involved. And as always, the most simple solution was also the most elegant.

I thought, why can't all of us that are qualified to perform this service of installing a lightweight linux desktop os; work together to create a network of freelance aging PC linux solutions. aka fix old putes using linux and have a central location in which to do it from.

The reason for this email is I am looking for qualified freelance installers that would like to be part of the database to provide lightweight linux desktop installs.

It became apparent to me today that your typical PC shop is not willing to participate, simply out of cost, lack of knowledge and unwillingness to offer Linux.

My reasoning behind the current prices is pretty simple. I feel they need to be relatively inexpensive since we are working with older computers and also asking others to try something new. Two big hurdles, which are I don't want to spend a whole lot on this thing and what if I don't know how to use it.

However I want to open this up. Anyone want to help beyond just becoming an installer? I'm all ears and welcome any input, partnerships etc etc. I feel this approach could be a valuable source for Linux adoption.

The website is located at http://www.unleashpc.com

Take a look over it. Make suggestion if you have any, and I'm hoping some of you would like to be included in the database of installers of course.

As for legality? In case your wondering. Its also pretty simple. We would be selling a unique service for older computers not selling Linux, since we will be physically providing the service to those that were informed by the website it is the same as hiring someone to help with the install of the operating system.

The customized Lubuntu OS shown on unleashpc.com is just that, a customized version. I never intend for our own distro spinoff of lubuntu, why? they do great work and deserve the credit and any monetary rewards being generated.

As of now I provide the custom iso to any installer in the database, made with remastersys, nothing fancy, gets the job done nicely and its not intended to be a distro its intended as a tool to provide the repurposing of older computers.

It will never be available for download to anyone not in the database. Its just a helper tool to decrease your normal setup time had you been providing the service from scratch.

I am also hoping that the Lubuntu team will contact me to arrange direct donations that I intent UnleashPC to make to the team for their excellent hard ongoing work.

Sorry for the lengthy email. I'm a bit wordy at times.

--
Regards,
Ronnie

UnleashPC.com