Video Player change proposel

Geoffrey De Belie computergeoffrey at zoho.com
Wed Aug 15 11:54:14 UTC 2012

I think only one media player is needed, not a separate audio/video player. Just my thoughts. It will save space in the ISO.

Geoffrey

---- Aan Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:45:44 +0200 Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner at web.de> schreef ----

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2012, 09:44:06 schrieb Geoffrey De Belie:
> There is a lot of difference between personal preferences, but in my opinion
> VLC is the option which will a lot of users like.
>
> Geoffrey / Smile4ever
>
> ---- Aan Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:32:29 +0200 Maps
> Backward&lt;maps.backward at gmail.com&gt; schreef ----
>

> Agree
> On Aug 14, 2012 3:24 PM, "Sandor Ortegon" &lt;sandortegon at myopera.com&gt;
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> My opinion:
>
> Honestly, I think Audacious is lightweight and good enough for everyone as
> an audio player. I don't need we have to change it in Lubuntu. Besides, it
> is actively mantained and actually, it is pretty good. I have tried several
> players on Linux (from the allegedly lightweight to the most advanced ones)
> and Audacious for me is the best in terms of keeping a balance between
> being light, have enough features, being constantly updated and relatively
> bug free. Besides, developers answer questions relatively quickly in the
> forums and several new features were suggested by users in the forums, so
> they are actually read and not ignored.
>
> Of course, it would be good to ensure the latest version (3.3.1) is in the
> repositories, because for some reason many users use very old versions of
> this program (2,x, even 1.x or 3.1) and the program has improved a lot.
>
> Besides, everyone can install another player easily if they wish; from very
> lightweight ones from the most advanced like clementine, banshee, amarok
> and others.
>
> HOWEVER, I think the topic of Media Player has to be revisited: I believe
> people were in a rush at the time of including programs form Ubuntu
> repositories for 12.04, because of the LTS. For example, most users
> suffered from a buggy Abiword and most of us had to remove it (or ignore
> it). And the GNOME-Mediaplayer that was included in 12.04 was very buggy.
> The only way it worked for me was to compile it myself from source and
> remove the version from the repository,
>
> - Several problems with playback and video with subtitles appeared in
> GNOME-Mediaplayer. The only way I could get rid of these problems was to
> install PulseAudio; somehow Mplayer had problems with ALSA. A persistent
> problem that I couldn't solve, not even installing from source, is the
> following: When playing a playlist, the player not always plays
> automatically the next entry in the playlist once the current entry is
> finished. I had to click myself manually in order to do that.
>
> - GNOME-Mediaplayer is a very good program, but it is important to check
> which version is going to be in the repository and ensure (in the build)
> that it would be relatively bug free. I shouldn't need to install
> pulseaudio just to ensure I won't have problems playing video files.
>
> - I think VLC could be included as an alternative in the default CD image.
> Most people install VLC anyway and it supports almost every media filetype.

> [...]

Please if we want to discuss media player, just open up another thread and we
should not do this under music player thread. I opened up a new threat for
this.

On the topic itself from the technical standpoint VLC needs Qt4 Libraries that
we currently don't ship. This means we might run into trouble packaging it all
on one cd image.
>From our goals perspective mplayer and gnome-mplayer is the more lightweight
solution in both memory, cpu usage aswell as harddisk space usage.
I also heard a lot about fuckups and bugs in gnome-mplayer for the 12.04
release. This is basically our fault for not testing it enough. (a conflict
between gnome-mplayers version and an unstable mplayer2 version caused this
issues). It could be solved by upgrading mplayer2(in the repo) or switching to
mplayer.
As I am also running a newer version of gnome-mplayer and mplayer2 here I can
say it is working better with the newer versions. (btw. we could also switch
back to mplayer 1.0 which works flawlessly with gnome-mplayer like it did in
11.10)
So I would suggest for the sake of users to stick with the gnome-mplayer
package but test it more often so we can notice problems faster and fix them.

As for the design point of view. VLC is a Qt written app. So we need a good
integrating qt theme (here I am not really sure if we have one or use the GTK
Qt Theme for this).
We need to live with it the VLC has other open and save dialogs then other
apps that we ship. This is however a discussion of consistency. I prefer to
ship a system which looks consistent.