New music player proposal? I think the main problem concerns the media player rather than the audio player!!

Sandor Ortegon sandortegon at myopera.com
Tue Aug 14 22:24:26 UTC 2012

Hello,

My opinion:

Honestly, I think Audacious is lightweight and good enough for everyone as
an* audio player*. I don't need we have to change it in Lubuntu. Besides,
it is actively mantained and actually, it is pretty good. I have tried
several players on Linux (from the allegedly lightweight to the most
advanced ones) and Audacious for me is the best in terms of keeping a
balance between being light, have enough features, being constantly updated
and relatively bug free. Besides, developers answer questions relatively
quickly in the forums and several new features were suggested by users in
the forums, so they are actually read and not ignored.

Of course, it would be good to ensure the latest version (3.3.1) is in the
repositories, because for some reason many users use very old versions of
this program (2,x, even 1.x or 3.1) and the program has improved a lot.

Besides, everyone can install another player easily if they wish; from very
lightweight ones from the most advanced like clementine, banshee, amarok
and others.

*HOWEVER, I think the topic of Media Player has to be revisited*: I believe
people were in a rush at the time of including programs form Ubuntu
repositories for 12.04, because of the LTS. For example, most users
suffered from a buggy Abiword and most of us had to remove it (or ignore
it). And the GNOME-Mediaplayer that was included in 12.04 was very buggy.
The only way it worked for me was to compile it myself from source and
remove the version from the repository,

- Several problems with playback and video with subtitles appeared in
GNOME-Mediaplayer. The only way I could get rid of these problems was to
install PulseAudio; somehow Mplayer had problems with ALSA.  A persistent
problem that I couldn't solve, not even installing from source, is the
following: When playing a playlist, the player not always plays
automatically the next entry in the playlist once the current entry is
finished. I had to click myself manually in order to do that.

- GNOME-Mediaplayer is a very good program, but it is important to check
which version is going to be in the repository and ensure (in the build)
that it would be relatively bug free. I shouldn't need to install
pulseaudio just to ensure I won't have problems playing video files.

- I think VLC could be included as an alternative in the default CD image.
Most people install VLC anyway and it supports almost every media filetype.

Thanks for your attention