Disabling lightdm guest login (was: Re: Upgrade 11.10 to 12.04 Case - Q )

Chris Druif chrisdruif at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 30 00:20:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 01:25, Daniel Brady <darthbradysmail at gmail.com>wrote:

> I agree with you. The "Facebook -> Forum -> mailinglist" method seems very
> inefficient and redundant. But it does seem to be a growing trend. I know
> what little bit of Facebook I use, I don't spend much if any time in the
> Lubuntu page. I'd rather go straight to the forums/mailing list/launchpad -
> depending on which one I see as the most efficient and necessary. If I do
> visit the Facebook page I usually respond to questions with "you should try
> visiting the Forums, you may find much better help there". I think the
> reason for this explains itself.
>
> I see Facebook and similar platforms as a great way to get the word out
> there about Lubuntu. With that being said I don't think cluttering it with
> problems/bugs/etc is a great way to represent our wonderful OS. And as I
> mentioned above, it's just not efficient compared to better methods already
> in place to resolve issues.
>
> I know we can't stop the public from using Facebook for such things, but
> perhaps we could help cut it down a little by referring them to the Forums,
> etc; when users have an issue.
>
> Just wanted to share that opinion and see what other ideas may spawn from
> doing so ;)
>
> -------------------------
> Daniel Brady (iPhone)
> darthbradysmail at gmail.com
>

> On Apr 29, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
> > On 04/29/2012 12:31 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> >
> >> Started from here:
> >>
> https://www.facebook.com/Lubuntu.Official.Page/posts/372426912792390?notif_t=feed_comment
> >>
> >> Now, it's a thread here:
> >

> > Facebook -> Forum -> mailinglist?
> >
> > This kind of "cross-posting" from one support medium to another to
> > another does not seem to me to be efficient, appropriate or scalable.  I
> > trust the Lubuntu support team will soon provide clear guidance on how
> > to avoid this, so every question the Facebook folks can't answer doesn't
> > then get recreated in forums, and then if the forum folks can't answer,
> > recreated again in the mailing list, and then if that doesn't provide an
> > answer, recreated yet again  in Launchpad?  This is clearly a rather
> > inefficient way to handle Lubuntu support.  We can do better.
> >
> > My suggestion would be that if the team handling support in any one
> > medium (IRC, mailing list, forums, Facebook, ...) is unable to answer a
> > question or solve an issue, the person asking for assistance should be
> > pointed directly to Launchpad (where they should create either a bug
> > report, or a question for "Launchpad Answers", depending on the nature
> > of the original question/issue).
> >
> > A more meaningful Subject line would also have been good... this is not
> > an upgrade-related question at all, and what "Case - Q" is I have no
> > idea.  Are there "Case - A" through "Case - P" items elsewhere??
> >
> > Nevertheless, I will answer one small part of the poster's questions,
> [...]

I agree that Facebook or other social media (we also have a Google+ account
etc) should be used for problem solving. Sure it's great that people try to
find help wherever they are (and sometimes they get a decent answer to help
them along). But most of the time are the answers provided of mediocre
quality because the people on there lack experience (it's beginners helping
beginners). So they should indeed be directed to platforms with better
knowledgeable people (eg. AskUbuntu, mailing-list, forum) to help them
better.

Also it doesn't look "professional" when the "experts" are disagreeing in
public. Just my thoughts.

With metta, Chris