Disabling lightdm guest login (was: Re: Upgrade 11.10 to 12.04 Case - Q )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 29 20:57:52 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 12:31 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> Started from here:
> https://www.facebook.com/Lubuntu.Official.Page/posts/372426912792390?notif_t=feed_comment
>
> Now, it's a thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968961

Facebook -> Forum -> mailinglist?

This kind of "cross-posting" from one support medium to another to
another does not seem to me to be efficient, appropriate or scalable.  I
trust the Lubuntu support team will soon provide clear guidance on how
to avoid this, so every question the Facebook folks can't answer doesn't
then get recreated in forums, and then if the forum folks can't answer,
recreated again in the mailing list, and then if that doesn't provide an
answer, recreated yet again  in Launchpad?  This is clearly a rather
inefficient way to handle Lubuntu support.  We can do better.

My suggestion would be that if the team handling support in any one
medium (IRC, mailing list, forums, Facebook, ...) is unable to answer a
question or solve an issue, the person asking for assistance should be
pointed directly to Launchpad (where they should create either a bug
report, or a question for "Launchpad Answers", depending on the nature
of the original question/issue).

A more meaningful Subject line would also have been good... this is not
an upgrade-related question at all, and what "Case - Q" is I have no
idea.  Are there "Case - A" through "Case - P" items elsewhere??

Nevertheless, I will answer one small part of the poster's questions,
how to disable the guest login facility.  Open LXTerminal, and in a
shell there run the command

  echo allow-guest=false |sudo tee -a /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

which adds one line (allow-guest=false) to the end of that file.

After this, restarting lightdm will result in a lightdm greeter screen
without the Guest Login menu option.

Jonathan