default 'autostart' contents in Lubuntu 12.04?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 29 08:56:05 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 01:19 AM, Kadrija Hrlovic wrote:

> I wanted to get around installing debsums and running debsums -ac
> lubuntu-default-settings command afterwards

OK... although they are two short and fairly simple commands you could
cut and paste from my email, to avoid even having to type them :)

> so I just followed the link you gave me:

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+junk/lubuntu-default-settings/changes?filter_file_id=autostart-20090905200420-demo27yfyp19mw7b-31<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Elubuntu-desktop/+junk/lubuntu-default-settings/changes?filter_file_id=autostart-20090905200420-demo27yfyp19mw7b-31>
>
> I saw something which surpised me - @gnome-power-manager

Where did you see that, exactly?  The top entry in the list of changes
on that web page (the most recent change) *is* the change from
gnome-power-manager to xfce4-power-manager.  That change happened on the
date I mentioned in my earlier reply to you, 22 July 2011, and so that
change was included in Oneiric, which was released in October 2011.

> I went to

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/precise/lubuntu-default-settings and
> downloaded
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/l/lubuntu-default-settings/lubuntu-default-settings_0.27.tar.gz.
> I opened it and I saw the default contents of autostart file. In it, there
> was @xfce4-power-manager entry.

Correct.  Just as there is in the file in the bzr repository, and as is
listed in the list of changes made to that file at the link I provided.

Why does it surprise you that the file was last changed on 22 July 2011
(before Oneiric 11.10), exactly as I said?  Why does it surprise you
that @gnome-power-manager was changed to @xfce4-power-manager, exactly
as the change log (list of changes) says?  There should be no surprise.

>From that page, click on the small triangle to the left of the topmost
change, and you will see a list of the files modified by that change.
Click on the file you are interested in, and you should see the line
containing @gnome-power-manager highlighted in red, meaning it was
removed, and a line containing @xfce4-power-manager in green, meaning it
was added.  The meanings of red and green are explained on the web page.

So (as far as I can see) there is no surprise... the change Rev 128 made
on 22 July 2011 *is* the change that replaced @gnome-power-manager wth
@xfce4-power-manager, and that was the last change made to this file,
about three months before Oneiric was released.

> This is how I will do in the future, because it seems easier for me.

OK, that is up to you.  I think your approach is not easily scalable.
It means hundreds or even thousands of source packages to download and
manually compare, if you want to check your entire machine (well, all
the installed packages that provide md5sums) that way :)  However, it is
just one simple command:

  sudo debsums -ac

to check thousands of installed files from 980+ packages in a default
Lubuntu 12.04 installation, in a couple of minutes or less, if you
choose to use debsums, as I suggested.  It is your choice, of course,
but I know which approach I think is quicker and easier in the general
case :)

Jonathan