About my health, top posting vs bottom posting, and Ubuntu forums

Lance lbsolost at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 10:53:22 UTC 2012

  #toc, .toc, .mw-warning { border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170); background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); padding: 5px; font-size: 95%; }#toc h2, .toc h2 { display: inline; border: medium none; padding: 0pt; font-size: 100%; font-weight: bold; }#toc #toctitle, .toc #toctitle, #toc .toctitle, .toc .toctitle { text-align: center; }#toc ul, .toc ul { list-style-type: none; list-style-image: none; margin-left: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; text-align: left; }#toc ul ul, .toc ul ul { margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 2em; }#toc .toctoggle, .toc .toctoggle { font-size: 94%; }body { font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); widows: 2; font-style: normal; text-indent: 0in; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12pt; text-decoration: none; text-align: left; }table {  }td { border-collapse: collapse; text-align: left; vertical-align: top; }p, h1, h2, h3, li { color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 12pt; text-align: left; }

   I want to clarify a couple of things. In late 2001/early 2002, at the age of 51, I was diagnosed with Meningeal carcinomatosis and I was given no more than 60 days to live. Luckily that was a mis-diagnosis, the correct diagnosis was

  #toc, .toc, .mw-warning { border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170); background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); padding: 5px; font-size: 95%; }#toc h2, .toc h2 { display: inline; border: medium none; padding: 0pt; font-size: 100%; font-weight: bold; }#toc #toctitle, .toc #toctitle, #toc .toctitle, .toc .toctitle { text-align: center; }#toc ul, .toc ul { list-style-type: none; list-style-image: none; margin-left: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; text-align: left; }#toc ul ul, .toc ul ul { margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 2em; }#toc .toctoggle, .toc .toctoggle { font-size: 94%; }body { font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); widows: 2; font-style: normal; text-indent: 0in; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12pt; text-decoration: none; text-align: left; }table {  }td { border-collapse: collapse; text-align: left; vertical-align: top; }
  Meningoencephalitis (unknown etiology, although quite likely West Nile virus) so I'm still alive and kicking ;^)
After undergoing many years of treatment and therapy I managed to overcome many of the obstacles, it truly seems that the body (even the brain) will heal with patience and the proper therapy. My neurologist says that the brain actually develops new "pathways" to basically create "work-arounds" for the damaged part(s) of the brain.
NOTE: certainly not the words he used, just my translation ;^)
Anyway, one of the lasting implications was mild neurocognitive disorder but beginning in late 2007 I heard about the WalMart $200 gOS system and I remembered playing with Lindows just before I got sick, so I decided to start a new hobby. Previously my hobby had been restoring old cars, but that was no longer a viable option.
So gOS led me to Ubuntu Gutsy and

  #toc, .toc, .mw-warning { border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170); background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); padding: 5px; font-size: 95%; }#toc h2, .toc h2 { display: inline; border: medium none; padding: 0pt; font-size: 100%; font-weight: bold; }#toc #toctitle, .toc #toctitle, #toc .toctitle, .toc .toctitle { text-align: center; }#toc ul, .toc ul { list-style-type: none; list-style-image: none; margin-left: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; text-align: left; }#toc ul ul, .toc ul ul { margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 2em; }#toc .toctoggle, .toc .toctoggle { font-size: 94%; }body { font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); widows: 2; font-style: normal; text-indent: 0in; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12pt; text-decoration: none; text-align: left; }table {  }td { border-collapse: collapse; text-align: left; vertical-align: top; }
  voilà, I found a new hobby that helped me in many ways, but the cognitive deficiencies have persisted to some degree. In the past year or so I've noticed some obvious decline so I had a new neuro-psych exam. After three days of testing I now know that I've graduated from mild neurocognitive disorder to dementia!
Specifically I'm having trouble learning anything new, even very simple things, and my memory has gone from just poor to almost horrible. I try to keep things organized but I'll be darned if I can remember exactly how I bookmarked something important. But I can navigate Ubuntu forums just great!
IMHO the Ubuntu forums are the best thing since sliced bread. Any fool, even me, can easily navigate the forums. And it's easy to find your old posts/threads so having someone say, "This list is getting to be as useless as the forums with people top posting", really puts a burr under my saddle :^(
I'm doing my best, and don't get me wrong, I know that Lubuntu will be fine if I drop off the face of the earth tomorrow, but does it really matter that much if I top or bottom post?
One of my problems with bottom posting is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to do bullet points in my Yahoo mail. I know I could spend the time to learn or change email clients, but is it more important than any of these issues:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11882333&postcount=518
Yesterday I had no problem with pulling up info about the Wubi changes and I posted it here. I knew about that from participating at the forums.
I knew to tell Julien about Xubuntu reverting to the non-pae kernel because of the forums.
Need I go on? IMHO the forums are far from "useless" and it does make me angry to have them referred to in that manner.
Additionally Ali has done a lot of good for us with his one stop thread and other threads in Ubuntu + 1!
Can't we all just get along? Is it really that painful if some of us top reply?
Lance