apt-get upgrade doesn't upgrade the Kernel but dist-upgrade does

Michael Basse ubuntu at alpha-unix.de
Fri Apr 27 17:12:11 UTC 2012

Hi,
its not a bug its a feature. see also man apt-get

upgrade will only upgrade packages if other packages are not changed
because of that. When doing a kernel-upgrade, the metapackge will pull
in a new package (the kernel). So another package will be changed and
for that there is dist-upgrade.

Kind regards

Michael