Hmm, they're at it again! The email says it all.

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 24 12:15:56 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Avaaz.org <avaaz at avaaz.org>
Date: 24 April 2012 17:10
Subject: Thanks for taking action to stop the Big Brother law
To: phillw at phillw.net

*Avaaz usually sends about one email per week, offering a chance to take
quick action on an urgent global issue. If you received this message in
error, or would prefer not to receive email from Avaaz, click here to
unsubscribe<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&email=phillw@phillw.net&lang=en&cid=2440>or
email
unsubscribe at avaaz.org.*

Thank you for taking action to stop the US government from passing a law
that would give them unprecedented powers to spy on all Internet users.

Send the email below to friends and family, and post this link on your
Facebook wall.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?tta

Thanks again for your help,

The Avaaz team

--------

Dear friends,

Right now, the US Congress is sneaking in a new law that gives them big
brother spy powers over the entire web -- and they're hoping the world
won't notice. We helped stop their Net attack last time, let's do it again.

Over 100 Members of Congress are backing a bill (CISPA) that would give
private companies and the US government the right to spy on any of us at
any time for as long as they want without a warrant. This is the third time
the US Congress has tried to attack our Internet freedom. But we helped
beat SOPA, and PIPA -- and now we can beat this new Big Brother law.

Our global outcry has played a leading role in protecting the Internet from
governments eager to monitor and control what we do online. Let's stand
together once again -- and beat this law for good. Sign the petition then
forward to everyone who uses the Internet:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?tta

Under the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), if a cyber
threat is even suspected, companies we use to access the Internet will have
the right to collect information on our activities, share that with the
government, refuse to notify us that we are being watched and then use a
blanket immunity clause to protect themselves from being sued for violation
of privacy or any other illegal action. It's a crazy destruction of the
privacy we all rely on in our everyday emails, Skype chats, web searches
and more.

But we know that the US Congress is afraid of the world's response. This is
the third time they have tried to rebrand their attempt to attack our
Internet freedom and push it through under the radar, each time changing
the law's name and hoping citizens would be asleep at the wheel. Already,
Internet rights groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation have
condemned the bill for its interference with basic privacy rights -- now
it's time for us to speak out.

Sign the petition to Congress opposing CISPA. When we reach 250,000 signers
our call will be delivered to each of the 100 US Representatives backing
the bill:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?tta

Internet freedom faces threats everyday from governments around the world
-- but the US is best placed to attack the rights of Internet users because
so much of the Net's infrastructure is located there. Our movement has,
time and time again, proven that global public opinion can help beat back
US threats to our Net. Let's do it again.

With hope,

Emma, Rewan, Ricken, Antonia, Lisa, Morgan, Mia, Pascal and the entire
Avaaz team

More information

Move over SOPA & PIPA: Here comes CISPA — Internet censorship (Digital
Journal)
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/322396

CISPA: Congressional plan to censor Internet concerns critics (Examiner)
http://www.examiner.com/progressive-in-portland/cispa-congressional-plan-to-censor-internet-concerns-critics

Good freedom, bad freedom: Irony of cybersecurity (RT)
http://rt.com/usa/news/usa-internet-cybersecurity-cispa-299/

Internet SOPA/PIPA Revolt: Don’t Declare Victory Yet (Wired)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/internet-revolt-follow/

H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr3523

------------------------------

*
Avaaz.org is a 14-million-person global campaign network* that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 19
countries on 6 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here<http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer>,
or follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz> or
Twitter<http://twitter.com/Avaaz>
.

This message was sent to phillw at phillw.net. To change your email address,
language, or other information, contact us via this
form<http://avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer>.
here<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&email=phillw@phillw.net&lang=en&cid=2440>.To
contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to us at
www.avaaz.org/en/contact <http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact?footer> or call
us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw