Making the help.ubuntu.com wiki into a one-stop support resource!

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 19 12:22:36 UTC 2012


Hi Karl,

The german wiki is not running on moinmoin. A better comparison would be
the clean look of Kubuntu  https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu If you're up
for making a new front page, GO FOR IT!!!!! You know from the new
lubuntu.net what we 'like'... KISS.

Make a new page under https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu and let your creative
juices flow. Once it is all looking good & working, it is a simple case of
retiring the existing start page and replacing it with the new one. The
usual rule of asking the lubuntu members on the ML for a +1 / 0 / -1 for a
new style will apply, but as was seen with the new look lubuntu.net - we
are certainly not against change.

Regards,

Phill.

On 19 April 2012 13:23, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jared,
>
> Long time no see :)
>
> I couldn't put it better myself so thanks for reading my mind and thanks
> for saving my time :D
>
> I do agree with you and see your point so +1 from me to your suggestion!
>
> My NEW theory is:
> If it's NOT broken, don't fix it, period.
>
> Better to come up with new topic because that will mean lots of things,
> again, I'm sure you wrote it better than what I may write :)
>
> However, the idea is a whole is not too bad. To be more accurate, adopting
> LOST Style (ONE STOP PLACE/INDEX - Save Time and Effort yet not an easy job
> to do) is great idea, not because I'm the creator but because whether users
> are beginners or advanced, they will always look for the fastest way to
> help them.
>
> I may take this opportunity and mention that I'm planning soon to write
> TWO new guides:
>
> 1- Lubuntu 101 = Totally for NEW Lubuntu Users which will be like LOST -
> One Guide, All what a beginner needs t know.
>
> 2- How To Install Lubuntu on a machine with 128MB or less - Inspired by my
> own experiment:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11832431&postcount=152
>
> Original Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614
>
> As for LOST, I still want to re-organize it but again, if it is NOT
> broken, no need to fix it :)
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 April 2012 15:25, Karl Anliot <kanliot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Look at the german wiki:  http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Startseite page.
>> > It's beautiful.
>> > It even has a little pictures next to each of the major categories.
>> >
>> > Phill, the more you and Chris dig in your heels and oppose change to
>> > the wiki, the more I'm convinced there has to be some organization
>> > imposed onto the wiki.
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > kanliot
>> >
>>
>> I'd like to share some observations I've made, sorry for not being too
>> heavily involved in the project currently but I'm still watching on
>> from not too far away. I don't think the primary concern is opposition
>> to change, more to do with contributors. Until you have a pool of
>> people contributing regularly organisation is ALWAYS going to be a
>> problem. I haven't been involved in LOST too much myself so I can't
>> comment too much on that specific topic but a big thing is, does it
>> already exist on help.u.c elsewhere? If so, don't rewrite it just
>> because it's not in the Lubuntu section. If it's not a specific
>> Lubuntu thing then don't put it there, just picking a random topic as
>> an example, we don't need documents on GRUB when help.u.c already has
>> documents on GRUB.
>>
>> My suggestion is, if you find a topic that needs to be added to the
>> wiki, add it. If you think something can be done better, why not do
>> it. It's a common practice in volunteer groups that lots of people
>> have grand ideas but very few work towards implementing them. As has
>> been previously stated, if you're interested, join the docs team and
>> get involved, who knows you might even have some fun :)
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris
>>
>> --
>> Lubuntu-users mailing list
>> Lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/lubuntu-users
>>
>
>
>
> --
> *Best Regards,
> amjjawad*
> Lubuntu Support Team Co-ordinator
> Lubuntu Communication Team Administrator
> Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
> My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad>| My
> Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>
> **
>
>
> --
> Lubuntu-users mailing list
> Lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/lubuntu-users
>
>


-- 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/attachments/20120419/e0f304c6/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Lubuntu-users mailing list