Making the help.ubuntu.com wiki into a one-stop support resource!

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:53:04 UTC 2012

Hi Jared,

Long time no see :)

I couldn't put it better myself so thanks for reading my mind and thanks
for saving my time :D

I do agree with you and see your point so +1 from me to your suggestion!

My NEW theory is:
If it's NOT broken, don't fix it, period.

Better to come up with new topic because that will mean lots of things,
again, I'm sure you wrote it better than what I may write :)

However, the idea is a whole is not too bad. To be more accurate, adopting
LOST Style (ONE STOP PLACE/INDEX - Save Time and Effort yet not an easy job
to do) is great idea, not because I'm the creator but because whether users
are beginners or advanced, they will always look for the fastest way to
help them.

I may take this opportunity and mention that I'm planning soon to write TWO
new guides:

1- Lubuntu 101 = Totally for NEW Lubuntu Users which will be like LOST -
One Guide, All what a beginner needs t know.

2- How To Install Lubuntu on a machine with 128MB or less - Inspired by my
own experiment:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11832431&postcount=152

Original Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614

As for LOST, I still want to re-organize it but again, if it is NOT broken,
no need to fix it :)

Thanks!

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 April 2012 15:25, Karl Anliot <kanliot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Look at the german wiki:  http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Startseite page.
> > It's beautiful.
> > It even has a little pictures next to each of the major categories.
> >
> > Phill, the more you and Chris dig in your heels and oppose change to
> > the wiki, the more I'm convinced there has to be some organization
> > imposed onto the wiki.
> >
> > thanks,
> > kanliot
> >

> I'd like to share some observations I've made, sorry for not being too
> heavily involved in the project currently but I'm still watching on
> from not too far away. I don't think the primary concern is opposition
> to change, more to do with contributors. Until you have a pool of
> people contributing regularly organisation is ALWAYS going to be a
> problem. I haven't been involved in LOST too much myself so I can't
> comment too much on that specific topic but a big thing is, does it
> already exist on help.u.c elsewhere? If so, don't rewrite it just
> because it's not in the Lubuntu section. If it's not a specific
> Lubuntu thing then don't put it there, just picking a random topic as
> an example, we don't need documents on GRUB when help.u.c already has
> documents on GRUB.
>
> My suggestion is, if you find a topic that needs to be added to the
> wiki, add it. If you think something can be done better, why not do
> it. It's a common practice in volunteer groups that lots of people
> have grand ideas but very few work towards implementing them. As has
> been previously stated, if you're interested, join the docs team and
> get involved, who knows you might even have some fun :)
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

*Best Regards,
amjjawad*
Lubuntu Support Team Co-ordinator
Lubuntu Communication Team Administrator
Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad>| My
Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>