[lubuntu-devel] Lu 20.10 running 5.4 kernel . . . still???

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:43:28 UTC 2020

@WL:

Well, OK, although "12 seconds" doesn't sound that bad, but when you count
it out that might be the reality of the relative slowness.  However, Linux
Mint is also a stack on ubuntu, so wouldn't that also have snapd??? and it
was "faster" than Lubuntu by that margin.

After I sent that email I booted up the Lu 21.04 live iso . . . it didn't
boot super fast because of the checksum, but using it felt much more
"zippy" compared to the installed 20.10 version . . . possibly due to the
flash drive medium, or something about the new system is just more quick??

There must be some other kind of "issues" with the installed 20.10 system,
i.e., why is it still running 5.4 kernel??  I checked the 21.04 uname -r
and it is running 5.8.0-25-generic . . . which is still "behind" the 5.9
systems that are running OpenSUSE . . . .  None of this is too critical in
terms of using the GUI, it's just getting to the GUI that feels "slow" . .
. painfully so.  I'll prolly upgrade via changing sources.list coming up
and see if that feels any better . . . if that doesn't get it . . . last
resort, do a fresh install . . . .  : - 000