[lubuntu-devel] Cosmic Cuttlefish testing

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:59:09 UTC 2018

Hi Walter,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 18:09, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> >> [trying to reproduce issues with Discover]
> > I ran it. Looked at the window. Tried to scroll the window up and down.
>
> Again, can't reproduce. Maybe something else was using up system
> resources at the time?

What are the specs of the system you are using?

> >> [some chat about what fcitx is]
> > Agreed. See first comment [about LXQt] :)
>
> Actually, fcitx has nothing to do with LXQt.

That's a very specific distinction. It is included as part of the default
Lubuntu install. In many people's point of view, that means any unexpected
behaviour reflects on lubuntu.

> where will the source code be held?
>
> https://github.com/lxqt

Thank you. Made a note of that.

OK, on to this evening's results...
Hardware: Dell Inspiron 530S desktop 64-bit computer with Intel E6650 CPU,
2GiB RAM.Hitachi 250GB hard drive.
Using 3d54d3ec136e9866f8126f9d92ed6f99  cosmic-desktop-amd64.iso

It installed OK. Once the install had finished, I chose the installer's
option to reboot the computer and there was a significant delay between
triggering the reboot and being asked to remove the install media.

Logging in: After typing in the password, significant delay experienced.

Ran Discover. Did 7 updates OK. Its window does not have a vertical scroll
bar so I think there are results that are not being made available to me.
Performance is sluggish, when I attempt to trigger an action, it ignores me
and I have to wait a while before I see a sign that my input is being acted
upon. Used it to install emacs. Had to logout and login again before it
appeared on the start menu.

Ran muon. Runs better than Discover. One thing I noticed is that Synaptic
Package Manager's search option allows you to refine searches - e.g. you
can search by name, by name or description, etc. Was unable to work out how
to get muon to do that.

LXQt runs fine. It is, at least, stable - and that is an achievement in
itself. However, for the casual user, there is more to a distro than the
kernel and its desktop environment.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -