[lubuntu-devel] Startup Disc Creator

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 10:34:55 UTC 2016

Den 2016-09-08 kl. 20:14, skrev Nio Wiklund:
> Den 2016-09-08 kl. 20:12, skrev Nio Wiklund:
>> Den 2016-09-08 kl. 19:55, skrev Alberto Salvia Novella:
>>> Ian Bruntlett:

>>> Yes, I have. I thought the device was broken.
>>>
>>> Please open a new report about it, and I will confirm and triage it for
>>> you.
>>>
>>> Thanks 👍
>>
>> Hi Alberto,
>>
>> This is by intention: This way to create USB boot drives, cloning, is
>> very robust, and it solves the long-lasting problem of bugs that has
>> plagued the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator (I think since 2011, Ubuntu
>> 10.10 was still good).
>>
>> There are other things to consider:
>>
>> - this kind of boot drive is read-only [1]
>>
>> - it is more complicated to restore a standard storage drive [2,3]
>>
>> - there is no way to create a persistent live drive built into this
>> Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator. (So users who want that must use other
>> tools, for example [4].
>>
>> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
>> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1549603
>> [3] https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2314875
>> [4] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb#Persistent_live_systems
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>
> Hi again,
>
> Or are you suggesting to file a bug against gparted? Then I am with you :-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Ian and Alberto,

*Done*

I created the bug report #1622313, "gparted does not recognize the
iso9660 file system in cloned Ubuntu USB boot drives"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gparted/+bug/1622313

I did it from Xenial daily 'looking at' its own iso file as cloned.

Please mark 'affects me too', if it affects you. It would also be
valuable to check in other versions of Ubuntu, particularly in Trusty
alias 14.04.x LTS, because many people will install fresh Xenial systems
from old Trusty systems.

Best regards
Nio