[lubuntu-devel] alternate installers

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:37:38 UTC 2016

Den 2016-11-14 kl. 23:38, skrev Walter Lapchynski:
> I notice that our [alternate installers page][1] reference two options
> (OBI, 9w) developed independently by the ToriOS team, but requires
> images hosted outside of Canonical resources. Since these cannot have
> the same degree of reliability as we would expect, I'm inclined to
> remove these suggestions. Does anyone see this to be a problem?
>
> [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods#Alternative_installers
>
> --
>        @wxl | polka.bike
> C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D
> 68F6 8B57 A48B C4F2 051A

1. I was developing the OBI and 9w, and ToriOS forked 9w. My version of
the OBI is still maintained and there are zenial tarballs for it.

I won't fight for keeping them as recommended alternatives at the
Lubuntu wiki page. The main reason is that the old computers that needed
them are hardly running at all today. If someone needs the OBI, it can
still do the job, and there is this link at the Ubuntu help pages,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

2. I think that *Ubuntu Server* is more reliable than the Ubuntu
mini.iso and should be recommended here, as the first choice.

a. The Ubuntu Server iso files are more reliable because they are better
maintained. Old mini.isos suddenly fail because the repositories are no
longer compatible. Sometimes it is difficult to find working mini.iso
files for previous but still supported LTS releases.

b. Only Ubuntu Server works in UEFI mode.

c. It is also much faster to download the Ubuntu Server iso and get many
of the program packages - instead of having to get them each time you
install a new system.

3. Don't forget that *Plop* can help boot old computers:

a. Boot Plop from CD or even floppy.

b. Chainload to USB (and a cloned image of Lubuntu in a USB pendrive).

Best regards
Nio